Derek Boateng is a results-oriented strategist and leader. He possesses a strong track record in optimizing sustainability performance in Health, Safety, Environmental Management Systems, and Community Development. My strong leadership skills in sustainability management systems and risk control strategies are applicable across a wide spectrum of industries for reducing project/operational risks, impacts, cost, changing behaviors, reducing liabilities, protecting shareholder/stakeholder value, and optimizing business, Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) performance.
He has over 18 years’ experience executing international best practice management systems that have optimized business performance, reduced project and operational risks, impacts and liabilities while protecting shareholder and stakeholder value.
Senior Manager, Sustainability & External Relations – Ahafo Mine.
Responsible for Environmental Management, Social Responsibility, Systems & Services and Community Relations.
He possesses over 18 years of diversified industry experience in Mining, Infrastructure, Sub-surface Rail Engineering & Construction, and the UK National Health Service with brief assignments in the United States and Guinea, West Africa.
Prior to joining Newmont, his role at Metronet Rail – UK included among others, collaborating with subject-matter experts to develop appropriate health, safety, environmental risk mitigation strategies for the multi-billion pound Public Private Partnership (PPP) – Infrastructure projects.
Educational Background & Interests:
- Executive Education – London Business School (LBS) – Finance for Non-Finance Executives
- Executive Education – Harvard Business School (HBS) – Corporate Social Responsibility: Strategies To Create Business And Social Value
- MSc. – Environmental Epidemiology & Policy – London School Of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine (LSHTM) with Health Economics at the London School Of Economics (LSE), UK.
- BA (Hons) – Development Studies & Geography – School of Oriental & African Studies (SOAS) – University of London, UK.
- NEBOSH Diploma & Certificate – The National Examination Board in Occupational Health and Safety (NEBOSH) – UK.
He is a trained Lead Auditor in Social Management Systems, a full member of the International Institute of Risk and Safety Management (MIIRSM), and a Graduate member of the Institution of Occupational Safety & Health – UK. He has keen interest in Community and Social Investment, Political Economy of Development, Environmental Affairs and Public Health. He enjoys reading and playing amateur golf. He attended the Presbyterian Boy’s Secondary School, Legon.